Are doing a walk around safety safety inspection at the start of each job and weekly thereafter?
Feel free to use L&I’s Construction Safety Checklist to see if you are providing a job site free of recognized hazards. Click on the link below to download a pdf of the checklist and start making your job sites safer now!
Safety committees/safety meetings—Summary.
This rule requires you to have a method of communicating and evaluating safety and health issues brought up by you or your employees in your workplace. Larger employers must establish a safety committee. Smaller employers have the choice of either establishing a safety committee or holding safety meetings with a management representative present.
There is a difference between a safety committee and a safety meeting.
• A safety committee is an organizational structure where members represent a group. This gives everyone a voice but keeps the meeting size to an effective number of participants.
• A safety meeting includes all employees and a management person is there to ensure that issues are addressed. Typically, the safety committee is an effective safety management tool for a larger employer and safety meetings are more effective for a smaller employer.
If you employ 11 or more employees on the same shift at the same location, you must establish a safety committee.
You must then establish and conduct safety committee meetings.
- • Make sure your committee:
- Has employee-elected and employer-selected members.
- The number of employee-elected members must equal or exceed the number of employer-selected members.
Note: Employees selected by the employees bargaining representative or union qualify as employee-elected.
- The term of employee-elected members must be a maximum of one year. (There is no limit to the number of terms a representative can serve.)
- If there is an employee-elected member vacancy, a new member must be elected prior to the next scheduled meeting.
– Has an elected chairperson.
– Determines how often, when, and where, the safety committee will meet.